Congratulations to Grenadian General Insurance Company Limited for being our first silver Partner for Literacy. The company has pledged to partner with the Grenada Community Library for three (3) years, 2018 – 2020. They will be featured in the month of October. This collaboration will be highlighted for the entire month. We express thanks and gratitude to Grenadian General Insurance Company Limited.
Brooks-Smith Lowe Institute is our Partner Literacy for the month of October. The institute has pledged to partner with the Grenada Community Library for three (3) years, 2018 – 2020. We will be highlighting this collaboration with the Institute for the entire month of October. We express thanks and gratitude to Brooks-Smith Lowe Institute.
GCL received a grant fund from GEF Small Grants Programme for a second year. This made the program possible and affordable. Students, ages 5-15 has benefited from presentations from experts in environmental awareness, website designing and basic computer skills, Science projects, art & craft activities. In addition, there were physical engagements: karate, dancing and hiking.
We are pleased that the children had a wonderful time as they engaged in activities that was not only fun but also a learning experience, as they embarked on being young stewards of the environment.
Our focus was strongly emphasized through activities and field trips, pertaining to the theme: “Let’s act today, we are not safe from Global Warming” and the objective “Youth bringing Grenada’s Vulnerability to climate change to the forefront”.
From this program we managed to complete the following projects:
- Website – https://letsactonglobalwarming.org , the website design classes done by the 9+ class.
- Garden at the community library, all the groups were given the opportunity to take part in this project.
- Crafts and Art – various items were created while Reusing and Recycling of old items.
- Creative writing, the younger children engaged in a few writing activities.
Each week ended with a field trip that emphasized sub-topics of the theme:
- Week 1 – “Safe farming practices and Land Degradation” – Visited, gardens and Farms.
- Week 2 – “Pollution and Global warming” and “Receding shoreline and marine conservation” – Visited the coral reefs, Sculpture Park, major shorelines, Sargassum seaweed.
- Week 3 – “Deforestation” – Visited Ashenden and a hike at Morne Gazo hiking trail.
Here are a few photos from the various activities:
Congratulations to Grenada Co-operative Bank, our Partner for Literacy for June 2018. Each month a partner is recognized for collaborating with The Grenada Community Library. This support ensures the continuity of the library.
The Partner for literacy program is design to motivate investment from private sectors. This contribution makes it possible to keep library doors open and offer free services to the public. There are three options to choose from Bronze ($ 1000), Silver ($5000) and Gold (10,000). Partners are required to make their contribution annually for three years. Our public relation team collaborates with pledged partners to ensure their contribution is noted and appreciated by all.
The Grenada Co-operative bank is an indigenous commercial bank, committed to the development of its community.
The bank celebrates 85 years this year of committed service. The Library will celebrate this first collaboration throughout the month of August.
Anyone aged 16 and over with a passion for learning, reading, and helping others can become a volunteer.
Interested persons have a variety of areas to choose from: general library support, assisting with our children’s after-school programs, helping with fundraising and events, joining our public relations team, and more! If you have special skills you’d like to offer, please let us know.
If you would like to volunteer, call or email the library to get started:
Phone: 435-0588, 457-5725, 420-7616
Why should I become a library volunteer?
- To develop new skills
- Explore potential career options
- Expand your social circle
- Professional networking
- Discover a new passion and grow in personal values and beliefs